I don't believe that they have ground hogs in Nepal, but they have a host of other interesting animals from bandicoot-like mammals and yaks, to the ever elusive Yeti, aka the Abominable Snowman.
This portrait of the Ferret Clooney is by Amar Shrestha.
You can see more available Danger Ferrets and pricing on the new NepalDog.com website.
Happy Groundhog's Day in any case.
It is not too early to order for the next trip in spring, 2012 !!!
Please send in photos for your order for the next trip. I leave in early 2012. However, I have many, many portraits already made of many breeds of pet. Please ask!!!
This may be the perfect gift. Give someone you love a portrait of someone they love, and in the meantime support this dying art form.
Each commission I receive will be given to 3 different Nepalese signboard artists, giving 3 struggling artists Fair Trade work and you a choice of 3 colorful paintings on metal!
Your satisfaction is guaranteed as I accept no money up front, only if you like one of the portraits do you pay. The artists are paid fair trade wages whether you buy or not.
1. Send a photo of your pet to me at email@example.com.
2. Let me know what you would like the signboard to say.
3. Tell me which style of Danger Dog art you prefer, by giving me examples of signs you have liked on the website or just say whether you like realistic, naive, cartoonish or fanciful.
4. Follow the Danger Dog Blog and see the works in progress, trips to the studios, the life and arts of Nepal.
5. Decide which painting you prefer of the 3 and send me a check and I will mail you your very own personal Danger Dog (or Cat)!
Pricing, more information and examples of the Nepal Art Dog project can be found at NepalDog.com.
If you are lucky enough to be in Los Angeles, you can see 60 Nepal Art Dogs at The Loft at Liz's Gallery at 435 S. La Brea LA 90036. Part of an exhibit titled "Fair Trade", a total of 28 artists are represented in the exhibit so you can get an idea of their varying styles.
The Craft and Folk Art Museum also features the Danger Dogs. cafam.org
Also, at Bergamot Station in Santa Monica, stop by the Santa Monica Museum of Art to see some art.
New Stone Age on West Third in Los Angeles also has a good selection.
Or you could order your own pet......