I just got the sad news yesterday that Jackie, a big, handsome, red Shikari Kukur passed to that big dog house in the sky.
Jackie was a Nepali Shikari Khukur. ('Shikari' means hunter, 'Khukur' means dog.) If you compare Shikaris to the more common Tibetan Mastiffs, Shikharis have more pointed wolf-like noses, thin waists and big thighs for running in the mountains. (Jackie's tail was monumental.) These thick tails keep Nepali dogs warm during the cold winter season. Mastiffs have blunt noses and wide waists and sort of flat tails. Mastiffs are not nearly as fast as Shikari Khukurs.
Batuli will sorely miss him, as will I.
You can find more photos of Jackie, Batuli and their garden here on an earlier Danger Dog Blog post:
Jackie was immortalized and your pet can be too.
You can order a portrait of your own pet, be it a Pekingese or a Poodle, a Calico or a Siamese through me at ampage1 @ gmail.com.
It is not too early to order for the next trip !!!
Please send in photos for your order for the next trip. I leave soon for the first trip of 2012. However, I have many, many portraits already made of many breeds of pet. Please ask!!!
This may be the perfect gift. Give someone you love a portrait of someone they love, and in the meantime support this dying art form.
Each commission I receive will be given to 3 different Nepalese signboard artists, giving 3 struggling artists Fair Trade work and you a choice of 3 colorful paintings on metal!
Your satisfaction is guaranteed as I accept no money up front, only if you like one of the portraits do you pay. The artists are paid fair trade wages whether you buy or not.
1. Send a photo of your pet to me at email@example.com.
2. Let me know what you would like the signboard to say.
3. Tell me which style of Danger Dog art you prefer, by giving me examples of signs you have liked on the website or just say whether you like realistic, naive, cartoonish or fanciful.
4. Follow the Danger Dog Blog and see the works in progress, trips to the studios, the life and arts of Nepal.
5. Decide which painting you prefer of the 3 and send me a check and I will mail you your very own personal Danger Dog (or Cat)!
Pricing, more information and examples of the Nepal Art Dog project can be found at NepalDog.com.
New Stone Age on West Third in Los Angeles also has a good selection.
Or you could order your own pet......