There was a nationwide 'chakra bandh' yesterday, meaning that no wheeled traffic was allowed throughout the country and that most stores and businesses were closed. I came across this lovely hand-painted sign as I walked the streets of Kathmandu.
Oscar the Pug is hand painted on metal by Sagar, Megh Raj and Dilip (clockwise from top left). The owner chose Megh Raj's portrait with the elongated front legs. This is what you can expect when you commission your own pet as a Danger Dog from Nepal. 3 artists get work and you get 3 choices!
How to commission YOUR pet's portrait on metal:
Now is the time to order: Be ahead of the Pack! I am in Nepal right now giving photos to the artists.
1. Please send me a photo of your pet. I will give it to three different artists, giving you a choice of 3 paintings and three people will get work. Each painting is about one square foot and is on metal with synthetic enamel paint. These can be hung indoors or out.
2. Let me know what you would like it to say.
3. Let me know what style of portrait you would prefer: naive, realistic, colorful, etc.
4. Tell me your pet's name and breed.
5. Send your photo to me at:
That's it !
Satisfaction is guaranteed as I accept no money up front. If you do not like one of the three, you pay nothing, and the 3 artists are paid in full in any case. Let me know what you want it to say and that's it!
The cost is $250 plus shipping. Shipping is around $18 per sign (to
and from the US). And 9.75% California sales tax for California
Pay after choosing your portrait.
Multiple pets on one sign cost more ($325 for Double, $400 for Triple).
Let's keep these artists painting.
This hand-painted art form is fast disappearing in Kathmandu, as it already has in most parts of the world. I pay fair trade wages, the artists get to paint again, pet lovers get a choice of three paintings for each commission, and I get to help Nepali artists make a living. Everybody is happy. Rescue dogs from America get to rescue artists from Nepal!