Chester the Foxhound and Cooper the Beagle are the first Thanka Dogs from Nepal. These dogs' clever owner came up with the idea to paint them Thanka style. Jit's version is a beauty and there will be two more versions to come.
Rudy the rescued male Shitzu mix is a lucky dog in his first portrait by Jit Gurung.
Nilly is another lucky rescue dog. She was rescued from the streets of Puerto Rico and looks like she has found the good life.
Grizz is a rough-coated Chesapeake Bay Retriever.
Here is another portrait of Grizz the Chessie, taken from another photo and painted by Khardar Gurung up in Jomsom, Mustang, Nepal. The lettering is Tibetan and translates as "Kyi ji yap a dou!" or "Brilliant dog is here."
Now is the time to order: Be ahead of the Pack! Orders will soon close for this trip. The deadline is April 15, 2017!
1. Please send me a photo of your pet. I will give it to three different artists, giving you a choice of 3 paintings and three people will get work. Each painting is about one square foot and is on metal with synthetic enamel paint. These can be hung indoors or out.
2. Let me know what you would like it to say.
3. Let me know what style of portrait you would prefer: naive, realistic, colorful, etc.
4. Tell me your pet's name and breed.
5. Send your photo to me at: email@example.com
That's it !
Satisfaction is guaranteed as I accept no money up front. If you do not like one of the three, you pay nothing, and the 3 artists are paid in full in any case. Let me know what you want it to say and that's it!
The cost is $250 plus shipping. Shipping is around $20 per sign (to and from the US). And 9.75% California sales tax for California residents.
Pay after choosing your portrait.
Multiple pets on one sign cost more ($325 for Double, $400 for Triple).
Let's keep these artists painting.
This hand-painted art form is fast disappearing in Kathmandu, as it already has in most parts of the world. I pay fair trade wages, the artists get to paint again, pet lovers get a choice of three paintings for each commission, and I get to help Nepali artists make a living. Everybody is happy. Rescue dogs from America get to rescue artists from Nepal!